Public Defender Commission
Revised August 29, 2011
- Governing Body: The Commission shall direct and supervise the Montana public defender system and the Office of the State Public Defender. The Commission shall appoint a Chief Public Defender, Chief Appellate Defender and Conflict Manager to assist the Commission in carrying out its duties.
- Attendance/Participation:With the honor of being appointed a Public Defender Commissioner comes the privilege of serving the people of Montana with effort, intellect and time dedicated toward making and keeping the delivery of public defender services at the highest echelon. Way has to be made for others when for whatever reasons we can no longer fulfill our commitment. If needed, the Commission will inform the Governor with the names of our colleagues who do not attend any three of four consecutively scheduled meetings without reasonable explanation and who do not otherwise make meaningful contributions toward accomplishing the mission of the Office of the State Public Defender. A member may not designate an alternate representative to represent the member on occasions when the member cannot attend.
- Quorum: A majority of voting members must be present before action may be taken.
- Voting: Each member of the Commission has one vote.
- Chair/Vice-Chair: The Commission will elect a Chair and a Vice-Chair. Each will be elected by the Commission to serve a one-year term.
- Meetings: The Commission shall meet as determined by the Chair. The Chair may create workgroups that may meet as needed. Meetings will be conducted following Robert's Rules of Order, except the Chair shall vote.
- Support Staff: The Office of the State Public Defender will provide technical and administrative support for the Commission. The Department of Administration will provide assistance at the request of the Office.
- Agendas: Agendas and other materials will be prepared by the Office of the State Public Defender staff and made available to members at least one week preceding each meeting. Items requiring Commission action will be noted on the agenda. Members are encouraged to contact the Office or the Chair with suggested agenda items.
- Communications with Other Entities: Minutes of Commission meetings and adopted policies will be published on the website.
- Expense Reimbursement: Mileage, meals and lodging expenses will be reimbursed according to 2-15-124(7) and 5-2-302 MCA.
Contract Steering Committee Meeting
September 19, 2016
Helena Regional Office
139 N. Last Chance Gulch
Annual Meeting and Attorney Training Conference
October 12-13, Bozeman
AGENDA to come